Boylan’s vocal music program offers students the opportunity to participate in two choirs that meet daily and one chamber group that meet before school.
For any questions regarding the vocal program, please see Mr. Daniel Walls.
- Concert Choir is a beginning to intermediate ensemble for men’s and women’s voices. Students will explore choral singing with training in performance skills, tone quality, music reading, and voice blending. Students will work on intermediate vocal music in three- to six-part harmony. Concert Choir performs at concerts and functions throughout the school year and also shares its music during school Masses. This ensemble is open to students of all grade levels.
- Chamber Singers is an advanced, auditioned vocal ensemble for men’s and women’s voices. Students will explore choral singing with training in performance skills, tone quality, music reading, and voice blending. Students will work on advanced vocal music in four- to eight-part harmony. Chamber Singers performs at concerts and community functions throughout the school year and also shares its music during school Masses'. This ensemble is open to juniors and seniors.
Chamber Group (open to students enrolled in another choral class)
- Octaves is an auditioned chamber ensemble which performs a cappella music from a variety of genres, including madrigals, pop, and vocal jazz. This course is designed for students who have a high level of musical awareness and who can work well as a small ensemble. Octaves performs at many concerts and functions for the school and the community.
Students also have the opportunity to participate in:
- Illinois Music Education Association District and All-State Chorus.
- IHSA Solo and Ensemble contest.
- Festivals hosted by regional colleges and universities including Augustana College, Carthage College, Millikin University, and Northern Illinois University.
- Annual concerts and performances including Boylan’s Fall Concert, Christmas Concert, Pops Concert, Fine Arts Fair, and the Cathedral of St. Peter Concert.
- Athletic and community performances at football games, the Edgebrook tree lighting, various church Christmas functions, nursing homes, area Catholic grade schools, and many more.