Boylan’s Christian Service Program allows students to experience Christianity in a dynamic way by actively participating in a wide variety of opportunities that serve their community and those in need. Christian service has its roots in the command of the Gospel to be of service to the needy, poor, and disadvantaged in a direct, personal and helping way.
Spring 2020 Adjustment to Service Hours:
In light of the extended absence the service hour requirement has been adjusted. All students are required to complete 5 hours of service for the 2019-2020 school year. If you have already completed 5 or more hours and have the signed paperwork (evaluation form, pre-approval form, etc.) all you need to do is write your reflection paper on that work.
The requirements for each class level’s reflection paper can be found below. The due date for Seniors is still April 15th and the due date for Juniors, Sophomores and Freshmen is still May 1st.
If you do not have any hours currently, you may complete 5 hours in your home and have the evaluation signed by a parent or guardian. Pre-approval forms will not be needed this year for any service completed. If you have any questions contact Mrs. Lisa St. John.
- All students are required to complete a minimum of 25 hours of service per year from a list of pre-approved agencies.
- Alternate service agencies may be considered, but students must submit a pre-approval form Download to the Main Office or to Mrs. Lisa St. John each year by April 1st.
- Students may earn service hours by volunteering for approved projects and events at Boylan; however, service hours completed for the school may not exceed 25 hours over four years.
- Students must obtain a signed evaluation
form from a representative of the agency where the service was completed in order to receive credit.
- How to Upload Evaluation Forms via Chromebook Camera: Download
- The service year runs from May 2, 2019 through May 1, 2020.
- All students are required to complete a reflection paper due May 1, 2020 (senior reflection papers are due April 15, 2020), which is graded and carries the same weight as a 4th quarter test grade. Reflection paper guidelines for each grade level are available below:
Freshman - Download
Sophomore - Download
Junior - Download
Senior - Download
- All agency evaluation forms and all 25 hours must be turned in with the reflection paper on the due date or the student will receive a “0” for that test grade.
Activities that do not Count as Christian Service
- Work completed for a pay.
- Yard work (mowing the lawn, raking leaves, etc.).
- Walking the dog.
- Shoveling snow.
- Any activity done as a household chore.
How do I know if it is Christian Service?
Ask yourself – is what I am doing related to the corporal and spiritual works of mercy? Does my service set a Christian example and witness the Gospel? Would others know that I am a Christian by my actions of service?