We would like to thank our students and families for their commitment to the health and safety of our building. Yesterday we shared a building health update and will continue to do so on a weekly basis. With your ongoing help and awareness, we can continue to minimize the risks of COVID-19 in our school.
This fall we will not be able to have our traditional Back to School night. Since we cannot have an in-person event, our teachers have prepared an update for parents to learn a little more about their students' classes. There is more information below on how to access that information. Take a moment this weekend to sit with your student and review these messages as well as their current grades.
We hope you have a safe and healthy weekend.
Additional announcements can be found below.
RETURN TO CAMPUS PLAN
HEALTH AND SAFETY
The only way we will be able to return to in-person learning in a sustainable way is by reducing the spread of COVID-19. This means following the current COVID-19 recommendations for Winnebago County, including:
- Wearing a mask in public, at gatherings, workplaces, or where it is difficult to maintain physical distance
- Maintaining a physical distance of six feet or more between people not residing in a single household
- Minimizing time spent with anyone outside your immediate household
- Washing hands frequently
- Avoiding gatherings of 10 or more people or any gathering for which you cannot maintain physical distance
- Limiting travel
- Staying home if you are sick and seeking appropriate medical care
Please be mindful of the travel guidelines issued by the Winnebago County Health Department, which is requiring a 14-day self-quarantine after visiting or hosting guests from several states and countries. Check the WCHD website regularly, as the list of locations changes weekly.
MEET THE TEACHERS
Since we could not have a traditional in-person Back to School Night, teachers have shared a short overview of their course with you. Take a few moments and check Skyward Family Access or Canvas (instructions below) for these messages from your child's teachers. If you have any questions, please email the teachers. Staff Directory
CANVAS ACCESS FOR PARENTS
Parents are encouraged to enroll as an observer in Canvas, our online learning management system. Observers in Canvas will have access to view the online assignments and resources of their student's classes. While observers will have the ability to view grades for some work, please remember that the grades that appear in Canvas will not fully represent a student's overall grade as students may be assessed on work completed outside of Canvas. Parents should continue to refer to Skyward for official grades. Directions for setting up your observer account on Canvas can be found on the Documents and Forms section of our website.
ACT AT BOYLAN
An additional ACT testing date will be held at Boylan on October 17. Senior students needing this test score for admission will be given priority. A separate email will be sent to senior families with additional details on 09/18/2020.
SAVE THE DATE
Virtual Senior College Info and Financial Aid Night for parents of the Class of 2021 will be held on Sept. 23 from 6-8 pm. Additional details were sent via email on 09/18/2020.
The IHSA is allowing additional contact days for out of season athletic teams. Soccer, baseball, football, boys and girls basketball, cheerleading, and dance will meet with athletes on various days and times between September 8 - October 31. These are OPTIONAL activities and ALL students are welcome to attend. Prior to participating, families must complete and return this consent waiver to the coach. Please contact the head coach or Athletic Director Paul Heitkamp for additional information.
FALL SPORT PHOTOS
Team and individual portraits from your picture day are now available to view and order online. Please use the link and instructions below to access your photos:
- Go to: https://www.vipis.com/group/2954dc41/boylan-catholic-high-school
- Select the green Sports Team & Individual tile
- Select the view and order tab
- Select your season and team photo (individual images will appear in the gallery with your team photo)
- Follow the instructions to select your package or products and enter your information
- You will receive a confirmation email
Daily mass is available for faculty and students on a first come first serve basis at 7:15 am. Social distancing and masks are required and sanitation of the chapel happens after Masses. Students will be required to sign in when entering the chapel. If a student arrives for Mass and it is already full, they will be asked to go to the cafeteria with the rest of the early arrival students.
PHELPS-ROSE GOLF OUTING
Sign up today for the 12th Annual Phelps-Rose Memorial Golf Play Day. Proceeds from the event provide emergency tuition assistance to Boylan families who experience a sudden illness or death. The memorial fund has distributed over $155,000 in tuition assistance since 2008.
- Find all-important dates, on our school calendar.
- Girls' uniforms can be purchased through Dennis Uniform. Download additinoal information here Download
- Boys' uniforms can be purchased through Tom Harmer. Tom Harmer will offer special pricing through July 20.
- Additional uniform details and guidelines can be found on our website and Student Handbook.
- PLEASE NOTE: A modified uniform is being allowed for the months of August and September. See our Return to Campus plan (above) for full details.
CHRISTIAN SERVICE AND RETREAT REQUIREMENTS
2020 YEARBOOK PICK-UP
Due to delays caused by the coronavirus pandemic, the printing and distribution of our 2020 yearbooks have been delayed. Rather than distributing with packet pick-up, we expect yearbooks to be available around the holidays. Exact timing TBD.
SHOP WITH SCRIP
- Earn money toward your tuition with our Scrip program. Sign up today!
- A make-up/retake day for senior photos will be held later this year. Date TBD.
- All seniors must submit proof of a complete (series of 2) meningitis vaccination to Boylan's main office by October 1, 2020.
FOR INCOMING FRESHMEN
- All freshmen must have a complete 9th-grade school physical and immunization records on file with Boylan's main office by October 1, 2020. If your student is playing a fall sport, it requires the ninth grade school physical to be on file by the start date of the sport. The ninth-grade school physical covers for a sport physical. The State of Illinois requires ninth-graders to have a dental exam performed by a licensed dentist on file with the school by May 15, 2021.
- Virtual Freshman Parent Night Video Playlist (8 videos):
Please note that our ability to hold all events and activities remain dependent on guidelines provided by local and state governing bodies. The COVID-19 pandemic is a fluid situation and our plans may change. We appreciate your flexibility and understanding.